Baroque Explorations: Historical search engine in the works: research heaven!

Baroque Explorations

Notes on the Writing Life

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Historical search engine in the works: research heaven!

.
This BBC article on a search engine that's being created for historians is very interesting. Even as the Net is now, my feeling is that historical research has experienced one of the most significant benefits. A search engine that links resources would be amazing.

As I read the article, I feared learning that the project would be limited to those in the academic communities, so I was delighted to read:
Once complete ... the search system will make it much easier for anyone, be they academics, amateur genealogists or curious citizens, to get at all relevant sources. 
Bravo! 

2 comments:

Hannah Stoneham said...

that is the wonderful thing about the internet isn't it - it kind of democratises information. I often start by researching on the internet - and even if the answer is not there it very often points to where to go. This sounds like a very interesting project indeed.

thanks for sharing

Hannah

Leah Marie Brown said...

Sandra,

Isn't the internet an amazing resource? I was looking for a particular book on the Chevalier de Saint-Georges for something I am writing but could only find it at an antique bookshop for hundreds. Then, I was able to find the entire book online! I could not print it out, mind you, but I could read it and get what I needed out of it.

It's like having museums and libraries at your fingertips!

Thanks for posting this one.

image