Baroque Explorations: Woman astride on horseback

Baroque Explorations

Notes on the Writing Life

Monday, May 17, 2010

Woman astride on horseback

.
I'm still in the midst of a research trip in France (and will have lots to report!), but I just came across this illustration on the Net and wanted to post it here:


I don't believe I've seen such a clear image of a woman in a gown riding a horse astride. It was published in 1874, but supposedly based on a 14th century manuscript. (Is this possible?) It's not Baroque by any means, but it illustrates how a woman in a gown might manage ... bunched up!
.

3 comments:

Hannah Stoneham said...

Very interesting... is that a bird perched on her hand? Hope that you are enjoying your research trip

thanks for sharing

Hannah

Leah Marie Brown said...

I hope you are having a marvelous trip! Happy touring and hunting!

Sandra Gulland. said...

Hannah, that's a falcon -- she's out hunting. Such an interesting sport.

Leah, thank you! It has been great!

image